Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A lot to know about Satellite cells

The journey continues. Another trip to San Francisco today. Sierra and I met with a medical oncologist, Dr. Liu. He reiterated again the surgery was a success. It is good the lymph nodes were negative and that the margins were clear.

One detail that was on the pathology report was there were satellite cells, which basically is a microscopic spread of melanoma which had been removed. The concern is whether there are more microscopic cells in my body we don't know about. For this reason Dr. Liu highly recommends further treatment, either a clinical trial, or interferon for a year! We aren't sure there is a clinical trial that I am eligible for. The course of interferon is an aggressive treatment.

I knew of the possibility of needing interferon, but I was so hopeful that I wouldn't need to continue with my treatment that I really didn't think about it. Wow, this is a lot of new information to digest. More tears today. I am healing well from the surgery, better every day, but sad that it looks like the healing will be more involved than just the surgery.

As I am digesting all of this, the plan right now is that Danny and I will meet with Dr. Liu on September 25th. At that visit we will make the plan of attack. Most likely Dr. Liu will manage my case and I will be treated in Santa Rosa. This is if there is no clinical trial for me. The first month will probably be the most challenging. I hope and pray for great success. I envision that if there are any satellite cells that they will be destroyed and all that is left in my body are healthy cells which will give me a full life.

Alan's ( my son in love) parents live in St. Croix (part of the US Virgin Islands). They offered for me to go there to heal from my surgery. Honestly the travel would be too much for me, but it was an awesome offer! Nancy came up with a brilliant idea for us to go to La Jolla for a few days. We will be going there for 5 days. I am so glad we planned this trip as I am not sure if I will want to travel much during the next year. Dr. Liu already told me after my treatment, if I can, go to Maui. He has a beautiful photo of a sunset in Maui in his office. So I think I will make it a goal to feel fantastic in a year (maybe a year and half, as I read sometimes it takes up to 6 months after taking interferon to have your normal energy back) and celebrate somewhere exotic.

For now, my focus is on healing and perfect health. I am thrilled that I am healing (even if it seems slow). I have a new fight to fight and I have every intention of winning! I plan on celebrating this life for many, many years!

xoxoxo
Ellen

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ellen,
    I am so sorry that the Drs. are recommending you be treated with interferon. I know how much you, and all of us who love you, were hoping your surgery would be all that was needed. I'm sending you lots of love and prayers (as I've been doing every day), and visualizing every cell of your body filled with healing light. I love you~~Carrie XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ellen,

    So sorry that the news about your pathology report is not better. It's just not ever the easy way, is it? Your strength is remarkable to me, and I hope these next decisions come soon so you can take the next steps in your recovery.
    Love you always, Cousin Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are with you with love...
    We are with you with love...
    We are with you with love...

    ReplyDelete